Anthony Joshua and Deontay Wilder’s upcoming mega-heavyweight boxing match has lost part of its appeal after the two had collectively lost five fights since 2019.
By holding one other’s heavyweight crowns, the pair previously controlled the sport’s glamorous category.
In March 2019, the streaming service DAZN made a $100 million offer to Wilder for a three-fight package that included two contests with Joshua. However, alleging dishonesty, Wilder turned down the streaming service’s offer.
Wilder elected to face Tyson Fury instead, but he lost both bouts by knockout. Joshua, on the other hand, has had two defeats to Oleksandr Usyk as well as a knockout loss to Andy Ruiz Jr.
To reposition themselves in the world championship picture, Wilder and Joshua must climb the ladder once again. To first square off against each other to determine a true contender is one definite approach to obtain another chance at a title bout.
Shelly Finkel, a seasoned manager of Wilder, is prepared to reopen lengthy conversations over holding the match. We’re open to anything, and I’m not against it if Joshua thinks he needs a break and a fight as a return fight or if he believes Deontay is the best option for him to find atonement. Finkel said, “I would never just stop doing it.
When it was obvious that he had lost the first battle, Joshua had courage to go back into it. But it truly relies on what Joshua perceives himself to need psychologically.
Since Wilder and Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, started exchanging jabs in the media, the possible match has gained some momentum.
But first, on October 15, Wilder must compete in the ring against Robert Helenius. Finkel said that Helenius was the only bout that was currently on his mind. Because if he doesn’t deal with Helenius as instructed, the rest is irrelevant.